Posts by Weser

Der Stern auf dem Dach ist merkwuerdig und nicht besonders gelungen...
    Ich kenne keine solche architektonische Tradition.

@U and @D, thank you for the answers. It is interesting that your opinions are somewhat contradictory regarding both Hildesheim and Braunschweig.

I have not visited Hildesheim yet. Somehow, by descriptions here it is difficult for me to know what to expect: isolated Traditionsinsels here and there, or something like attractive connections between the different main sights, i.e. something closer to a historical quarter.

Is it true that by upgrading the Andreasplatz (I still do not have a general picture in my head of the current situation of this Platz), and by few other key reconstructions (like the Borchershe Haus), the city centre as a whole can become very attractive?

Brandmauer
    Thank you for the Wuppertal-Nordstadt link. The quality of this complete quarter of Grunderzeit is impressive!
    But historicist structures can be disturbing, when they replace older houses in historical centres.

@Ursus
    Of course, the Rathaus in Graz :? ... But besides this (massive) structure, I do not remeber a lot of
    historicism in the centre of the city.

@Ursus

I agree with your "semi-psichological" explanation for our different impressions of places like Augsburg.
    Indeed, one of the reasons that I like some of the post-war architecture in Germany, is that this architecture is a part of my positive Erlebnis (I forgot for a moment the english word...) as a visitor in german cities.
    Nevertheless, I still say that because of the strong impact of the historicism in Germany,
    German cities had "Bausunde" (some of them
    not better than the modern ones) already before the war destruction. I think that
    the historical centres of cities like (pre-war)
    Augsburg or Wurzburg had
    quite many such historicist "damages", much more than the historical centres of
    Graz or Linz, for example.

@Ursus
    Still I have to ask you, do you really have the opinion that the current situation of a city like Augsburg is so negative? Indeed, the city has some modern "Bausunde". But many other middle-large European cities (even cities which did not suffer heavily in the war, like A) are far from being perfect. I think that there is a tendency to idealize the pre-war situation of German cities. Pre-war German cities had quite many "Bausunde", as well (not "modern", but "historicist"; and I do not mean that all historicist
    architecture is bad. But, similarly, not all modern architecture is bad).

Once again, I must put it clear:
    To my eyes (an outsider eyes) a city like Augsburg seems a very attractive city, despite the
    "Bausunde" here and there. Indeed, there were mistakes (besides some achievements!) in the reconstruction phase. Nevertheless the city is full of attractive quarters and streets, and some of the modern additions are (to my eyes) elegant and harmonizing well. It seems to me that Augsburg is a first rate European city, although it has more "Bausunde" than Graz, for example.

Quote from "Erpel"

Überhaupt ist MD für mich ein weiterer Beweis der durch unseren englischen Freund Gil im Bremen-Strang aufgestellten These, dass auch unsere im Krieg massiv zerstörten Großstädte immer noch viel schönes und sehenswertes zu bieten haben ("my claim, that also the large (and much destroyed) cities of germany has a lot to offer today.."). Schöner kann ich es auch nicht sagen.

Danke, Erpel, aber ich muss dich korrigieren: Ich bin von Tel-Aviv, Israel.
    Ich hoffe, dass du mehr Magdeburg Fotos hast. Vorher wusste ich nicht uber das Areal zwischen Dom und Elbe-Uffer. Und wie findest du den Markt mit dem Rathaus und die DDR Bebauung von den 50-er Jahren?

I agree that Leipzig's baroque should be paid much more attention. As far as I know, there are no
    distinguish example of baroque churches in Leipzig, but the existing baroque burgerliche Bauten are
    impressive!

Ursus, don't missunderstand me. Comparing to Ludwigshafen is not needed in order
    to appreciate Munich or Dresden. What I said is that your (and other's) over-criticism may lead to the (wrong)
    impression that M, DD and K are similar to Ludwigshafen.

I agree that the Kaufinger Str. in M is problematic, but with the Ludwigstr., Max., Kardinal Faulhaber Str., and other impressive streets, this city is far
    from being deserved to the word "Tristesse". Ok, it is not like Vienna.. But even Paris is not (to my opinion). 8)

Quote from "ursus carpaticus"

kein Vergleich zur Tristesse Dresdens (außerhalb des Elbuferbereichs), Münchens, Hamburgs, Nürnbergs Frankfurts oder Kölns.

Ursus, again too harsh verdicts... Or possibly the german over-self-criticism is on a guest
    appearance in Vienna? :zwinkern:

I have never visited Dresden, but the Neumarkt area project, which is still ongoing, and the still
    existing historical parts of the Neustadt can not be underrated! I don't think that Dresden deservs
    the word "Tristesse".

The same for Munich which has quite many Prachtstrassen, and Cologne with its reconstructed small Altstadt, the churches and the unique Rhein-panorama.

Sometimes one can get the impression from reading comments in this forum that all german large cities are like
    Ludwigshafen.... :schockiert:

When I see such intimate wonderful corners like the Franziskanerplatz, I think that we should be grateful that Vienna (unlike Paris) did not suffer from a massive redevelopment project in the 19th cent. Of course, we have the Ringstrasse with its grandiose monuments, but the pattern of the Altstadt is preserved.

Many thanks! Wonderful photos of a wonderful city.

I like very much the baroque of upper Austria. Its joy of colours and forms is almost unequivocal.

Without doubt, Linz is one of the "unknown" treasures of Europe.