Städte und Dörfer in der Rhön (Galerie)

• Deine Galerien über die Rhön sind super, ich freue mich jedes Mal, wenn es ein paar neue Beiträge von dir gibt. :applaus:

Wo du überall hinkommst: Auf dem Forum kämen wohl nur wenige auf die Idee kämen, so etwas wie den Bayershof anzusehen, alleine das Wort "Rodungsinsel" klingt ja schon viel zu abgelegen :biggrin:

Schön, dass ich nicht der einzige hier bin, den auch bäuerliche Architektur interessiert :)

LG

• Hi everyone,

This is my first post in your wonderful forum; I hope it is in the right place! I do not speak German, though my ancestors hail from there. I have a very old photograph of what I now understand to be a Fachwerkhäuser type building that I am trying to identify and locate, and hope you may recognize it and know where it is located, and know perhaps if it is still standing? I have been told by various family that this building might be in Bettenhausen, Fulda, or Meiningen, but to be honest, I am not sure where it might have been. The sign on the front identifies it as a store run by my great-great grandfather, Jakob Nußbaum which was then taken over by my great grandfather and Jakob's son-in-law, Julius Schlössinger. Here is the photo of the building itself:

The sign on the front:

I have searched online with no success, but my searches did lead me to your forum, which I am hopeful can point me in the right direction.

I found a second photo of what appears to be the same building, which was torn from a larger postcard:

These are the clues I presently have available, but I would be happy to answer what questions you might have.

Greetings from New York, and I hope that you find this post of interest and might help.

Best wishes,

Daniel Stern

• Das Haus scheint ein Geschäftshaus an einer Hauptstraße oder einer besseren Seitenstraße zu sein.
    Ein Scan der Rückseite könnte mit viel Glück einen Poststempel zeigen. Ähnliche Karten aus meinem Besitz stammen aus den 1910er Jahren.

@ phoebus: This House might be builded on a Main Street in East Hassia or Thuringia. Please be so kind to scan the rear side of this photos or Post Cards. The stamp might to be dated in the time of the 1910´s. Even the written notice could give more informations.

• A "Kolonialwarenhandlung F. Hess" (colonial goods shop) did exist in Bettenhausen in the late 19th und early 20th century. It was run by Ferdinant Friedrich Heß and Karl Friedrich Heß. The Kreisarchiv Schmalkalden-Meiningen (archive of the district of Schmalkalden-Meiningen) holds some documents from this company (Link). The archive probably can provide you with the exact address of the shop. Another information points towards Bettenhausen: A jewish cattle trader from Bettenhausen named Jakob Nußbaum was robbed and murdered near Träbes, 2 kilometers south of Bettenhausen, in 1894 (source).

• Das Haus scheint ein Geschäftshaus an einer Hauptstraße oder einer besseren Seitenstraße zu sein.
    Ein Scan der Rückseite könnte mit viel Glück einen Poststempel zeigen. Ähnliche Karten aus meinem Besitz stammen aus den 1910er Jahren.

@ phoebus: This House might be builded on a Main Street in East Hassia or Thuringia. Please be so kind to scan the rear side of this photos or Post Cards. The stamp might to be dated in the time of the 1910´s. Even the written notice could give more informations.

Hi Weingeist,

The main photo postcard has nothing on the reverse at all but I went through all my old family photos and located another copy of the same photo in far worse condition that had been postally used; here's the reverse:

The postal stamp would seem to suggest Bettenhausen is the right town!

Tübinger, an outstanding lead, which I will follow up on promptly! Many thanks!

-Daniel

• Laut Wikipedia gibt es in Deutschland fünf Orte namens Bettenhausen:
    - Bettenhausen, Stadtteil von Kassel, Hessen
    - Bettenhausen, Ortsteil von Dornham, Landkreis Rottweil, Baden-Württemberg
    - Bettenhausen, Stadtteil von Lich, Hessen
    - Bettenhausen, Ortsteil von Rhönblick, Landkreis Schmalkalden-Meiningen, Thüringen
    - Bettenhausen, Ortsteil von Glan-Münchweiler, Landkreis Kusel, Rheinland-Pfalz.
    Baden-Württemberg und Rheinland-Pfalz scheiden aus. Es bleiben realistisch noch drei Bettenhausen in Hessen und Thüringen.

Im Text wird Aschenhausen erwähnt. (98634) Aschenhausen liegt 16 km. von (98617) Bettenhausen (Rhönblick) im Landkreis Schmalkalden-Meiningen in Thüringen entfernt. Dieser Ort liegt am nächsten, ist bei einem Tagesausflug in 1912 schnell erreichbar und ist der wahrscheinlichste.

Der Poststempel ist nicht besonders deutlich; das Datum könnte der 1.4. 1912 sein.
    Die Karte ist adressiert an einen :
    Gustav Sichel
    Frankfurt a.M.
    Zeil No. 13

Der Text ist teilweise schwierig zu lesen und hat durchgestrichene Schreibfehler. Alle problematischen Wörter haben im Text eine Klammer ().

Lieber Onkel u. Tante
    Liebe Tante hier will
    ich dir unser Haus
    Haus mit Bild
    schicken nähmlich
    Schanette liebe Mama
    (...) ich u(n) Scha-
    nette ihr Fridrich. (Liebe)
    (Küsse) wa(h)r nähmlich nicht
    zuhaus morgen wollen
    wir nach Aschenhausen
    wollen die Feiertage dort
    bleiben. Gruß von mir
    und liebe (Küsse)
    (Grüsse) an Onkel u. (Cusine(n))

• Hello Weingeist,

This is all quite helpful; I have taken your feedback and the suggestions of the other kind forum members and have begun pursuing the suggestions you have made, and will post any updates here. My sincerest thanks!

-Daniel